3/12/2012

October 20, 2010 Sao Paulo, A lesson in Love

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.  John 13:35
This is my commandment that ye love one another as I have loved you.  John 15:12
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.  He who does not love does not know God for God is love.  I John 4:7-8

Sao Paulo, a lesson in love:  October 20, 2010
I had just returned from a great weekend with my brother from Sao Paulo, our friend Sarah-whom you will recall from a previous posting-had hosted us in her home city.  It is a massive place, and the financial hub of Latin America.  Her childhood friend Andre allowed us 
While staying with here I had th opportunity to sit with Andre and bouncing ideas and discussing things God had impressed upon us and been showing us.  We began discussing how legalism not only destroys an individual's faith, but also ruins the testomony of the believer.   This keeps people fro knowing Christ in a real way as the message of the relationship with an all powerful God gets lost in a list of 'Do's' and 'Don't's".  
Andre shared his testimony, which in my opinion looked very similar to most "Christians".  He had a resume if you will.  You know what I am talking about, "I have perfect attendance in Sunday School.  I have never touched alcohol.  I go on the mission trip every year, and even help out at kid's camp." Let's face it as a Christian this is about as good as it gets.  I mean this is what a 'real' Christian looks like right?  If Jesus were alive today isn't that what he would be doing, going around making sure to sit in Sunday School every week, and stare down his nose at anyone wearing jeans?  He would invite people to the temple, but if they actually came he would be surprised and try to avoid sitting or talking with them for to long--right?  That has been my experience, and unfortunately the experience of many others who when invited to church respond simply, "Oh I don't really go to church, I have met lots of Christians though."  If we were to truely ask ourselves, "What would Jesus do?" would we be shocked by the answer, would the world be shocked by the answer.  For some of us we may be called into the desert to eat grasshoppers like John the Baptist, others would be famous and have many supporters and friends like Billy Grahm.  Regardless of the answer, one thing is certain, we would ALL be challenged to follow this one command--LOVE!

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples if ye go to church every sabath day and night, and sometimes wednesday, and don't forget singing in the choir for extra credit. What? NO!  "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples if ye have love one to another." John 13:35
It is so simple yet overlooked so easily.  Standing in line at the grocery store, stuck in traffic in the heat of summer, how often do we love these neighbors?  The elderly in the nursing homes, the children in the poor areas of town, how often do we love these neighbors?  So simple? Not really, this is a much more difficult command to follow than I could have possibly imagined.  Employers, neighbors, coworkers, even family members and other sunday school attendees can be difficult to love.  

Honestly,  whose life have you had the deepest impact.  Was it someone with whom you have had a deep theological debate, or someone in your life that you just showed love and kindness towards, someone you were not afraid to love regardless of difficulty or self-sacrifice.  I know for me it has always been those who showed me love.  People who poured into my life selflessly, friends who were not afraid to be my friend even when I was being teased or ridiculed.  With this in mind doesn't it seem logical that if we are to have the greatest impact on the world around us that we should start by showing love?  Often we are so concerned with making people perfect that we never stop to realize that--IT ISN'T OUR JOB!
For Andre, it took getting past church, getting out of religious circles, breaking free from Bible College.  Only after Andre experienced life outside of religion could he appreciate and sincerely believe how radically different Christianity is.  As I explained in previous articles, love is what the world is looking for, love is central desire for which human beings yern.  Love is the difference that should be apparent in all Christians, yet for some reason it is not.  I am under the strong conviction that if Christians followed this single mission that churches would be packed, and the need for evangelism would diminish as people come seeking the difference in the lives of their new friends.  

God is not a nagging mother rattling off a list of rules and schedules, He is our loving, patient, Father.  He is encouraging us, cheering for us, and passionate that we do our best and waiting to help us along the way.  That is the God I serve, that is the grace that sent Christ to redeem us.  That is the powerful life that I want to live for this year and the rest of my life.  My goal for this upcoming year is to love people more deeply and in doing so experience Christ's love in a new, powerful, and exciting way.

No comments:

Post a Comment