11/11/2011

The Brasilian (They spell it this way so why do we change it) Jungle

Sunlight, it is a fascinating thing when it is being gently strained through the tropical canopy of the Brasilian forests.  The entire area seems to come alive for just a fleeting moment as nocturnal creatures return to their homes, and diurnal animals arouse from their sleep.  As I hiked through those woods, observing all the many creatures, the transition is a fantastic thing to observe.

Life had taken me down, Rio de Janeiro, the land of Sun, Fun, and Samba!  God provided a place for us to live and work, which despite not getting paid, we did to our fullest.  In return we were provided with room and board.  I knew I was exactly where God wanted me for the moment.  Here in the mountains, with a group of U.S. Methodist missionaries, repairing churches in the countryside.  Safely tucked away from the noise and distractions in the city of Rio de Janeiro, I was several hours inland in the mountains.

The previous night I had sat atop a bald mountain top starring in wonder at the constellations.  I had seen them my whole life, leisurely taking note of different stars and their positions.  That night, I saw them for the first time upside down.  My favorite, the Southern Cross, sits so perfectly and quietly just over the horizon, safely hidden from the entire northern hemisphere.  This experience was a stark realization of how far from home I actually am and how uncertain my new life will be.  This is not a vacation this is my new home.  God has given me one week in the mountains as a gift, a retreat, but the time here was not to be squandered frivolously, I must take every advantage of this time in order to be prepared for the work ahead.

As the Sunlight now piercing strongly through the trees, my position is exposed and some very loud birds proudly announce my presence.  All the forest creatures are driven away and I rush down the mountain knowing breakfast is waiting and I am not to be late.  I spend the day working very hard, and counting the hours.  Secretly desiring more than anything to rush back to this mountain in anticipation of seeing the new birds, frogs, snakes, and stars which will certainly come out to dance again tonight!

2 comments:

  1. dude...keep writing!! your words point to Him. can't wait to hear the rest of how you got to taiwan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I meant snakes, not snack. Note to self, always proof read several times!

    Also I need to figure out how to make everything in English. Half of my wall is in Chinese so I have no idea what most of these buttons do.

    ReplyDelete