11/17/2011

Leaving my Mountain Top

“I’ll live my life to the fullest. I’ll be happy.  I will be more joyful than I have ever been.  I will tell others about Christ. I will go on adventures and change the world.  I will be bold and not change who I really am.”
            “I will wipe away the bad memories and only remember the good.  In fact that is all I remember, just good moments, I will set an example for others, I will pray for direction.”  Brooke Bronkowski
            I found this to be appropriate for all Christians to live by.  Brooke was actually only twelve years old when she wrote this profound mission statement.  After purposing to live her life in this way she gave away hundreds of Bibles before she died—at the age of fourteen.
            As I sit, pondering the depth of this quote and the ramifications of living my life in such a way, my mind wanders back to my first week in Brasil, July 26th 2010.
Out in the jungles, we spent our days completing grueling manual labor using only the most basic tools i.e. shovel, pick, and hammer.  I truly have enjoyed getting to know my team members and learning character traits from each.  Bob the inventor and civil engineer demonstrated leadership and determination.  From Zack my fellow worker I saw Christ, I saw Him in his patience, sincerity and light-hearted personality.  From Alyssa and all the Brazilians I noticed hard work and determination.  Many of them going from job to job tirelessly, I felt I would give out soon, my knees and back were screaming for mercy, but I will not be a stereo-type.  If they are working I will work, if they rest only then do I rest.  Somehow all the work I was doing was in quiet anticipation of going back, back to my mountain.
            God had giving me a fantastic week.  Upon completion of our 3 days of intense labor, we began a two day VBS for the local children.  They are fantastic and very anxious to practice their English with me.  Much to their surprise I do play volleyball at their level.  As I dove into the sand bloodying my knee and setting the ball smoothly into the air for an easy spike I earned their respect.  “The gringo is here to play.”
After a full day of fellowship and broken communication we sat by a bonfire.  One of the locals began to play his guitar, and as music tickled our ears the flame enticed our vision.  I sat quietly nestled warmly in my coat listening to Rick play love songs from past decades and watched as the flames tried to lick the stars above.
It is so cold there in the mountains at night, the mosquitoes though painfully abundant during the day are nowhere to be found after sunset.  I was so thankful to my sister for encouraging me to bring my pea coat.  I was saddened to think that tomorrow would be my last day here in the mountains.  I was however, quit excited at the thought of catching a bus back to the favela, my home.  I will begin my work, and language studies, I will begin immersing myself in the culture and becoming a wanderer. 
There I was ankles swollen from mosquito bites, muscles aching from working and chasing children, but somehow perfectly relaxed, perfectly at peace, perfectly ready to begin my new mission.  Rio seems so far away now.   Maybe this is what is meant by living life to the fullest, I certainly had never felt so satisfied and so fulled as I did at that very moment.  Sitting at that campfire, observing the beauty of the Southern Cross, a constellation so perfectly majestic yet quietly tucked far out of view from the entire northern hemisphere, listening to the quiet guitar and Portuguese musician, perfectly content and ready to go wherever life would take me.  God had taught me and shown me so much here, but now it was time to go into the world to apply these lessons of faith and self-sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment