12/19/2011

Pedro de Gavia--Basket Rock

August 7, 2010
Pedro de Gavia

I always knew that when I left Rio I would have experienced more than most cariocas ever will, and explore more of their own city than they dare.  Living in the favelas was one such adventure, but I also recall a leisure trip that I made to one of the highest peaks along the coast, Pedro de Gavia (Basket Rock).  It was a fabulous Saturday and after 10 hours of uphill climbing, hiking, and scrambling we finally reached the pentacle. 

I will never forget that feeling, hours inside the humid jungles of Rio, strenuous uphill trekking and then suddenly the canopy lifted.  We had reached the top, and from that point only lush grasses grew on a flat plain like clearing.  We were surrounded by scenery.  The Statue of the Christ watching over the city, all the famous beaches laid out to our east (i.e. impanima, Copacabana, ect.), and lush jungle mountains to our west.  It was one of the most amazing views I have ever seen.  It truly was a fantastic day, and a much needed rest from the dirt and grim of daily life in the favela.

Weekend by weekend, trip by trip, lesson by lesson, I was becoming a traveler, but I had so many lessons to learn and so much to see and experience.  Taking out all my frustrations on the side of this mountain makes for a relaxing weekend and offers an amazing who go the distance.  Now it is time to take what I have learned and returned Gamboa, my favela.

No comments:

Post a Comment