4/09/2012

Here is my late Easter post.

I have introduced you all to Raiza.  She was one my friends in Brasil and remains a close friend still.  Austin, Sarah, Raiza, and myself would hang out all the time.  Except on days that she was too busy studying, or doing her nails...actually that was most days, but when we did all hang out it was alot of fun.

(from left to right: Sarah, Austin/Narlie Beard, Raiza, Me/Jew fro, and I actually am not sure who the last person is--that was the only night I met her.)

One day while exploring a fort/rennovated restraunt, Raiza told one of the funniest most relatable stories I have ever heard.  Now, to read this story does not do justice, as you probably should see her Ginormous eyes bug out with enthusiasm and her arms flailling around to truely enjoy the experience in it's fullness.  Reading it will be the kareokee version of a Broadway musical, but I shall do my best.

As she tells it, her car had been broken into so she was unable to drive to class because the window was broken.  Let me point out she could not take it immediately to the shop because she had to study for an exam the next day.  With no way to school except a bus ride from a station two miles away, she asked her father to drop her off.  Hoping to enjoy his day off engaging in absolutely NOTHING minus his giant television and video games, (specifically in this case call of duty) her father was none too excited over the prospect of having to do anything as difficult as get off the sofa.  Again let me point out this is the day of the exam it was important that she NOT be late to class.

Grumbling and complaining they latched their seatbealts and began the drive to school.  The entire trip or at least the first part of it was quit boring and uneventful.  Soon however, they collided with another vehicle.  Now it was quit obvious to her and I suspect even her father that this accident was caused because he was simply too busy complaining and arguing over the cruel and unusual punishment to befall him on his day off.  Also this was a result of wearing flip-flops while driving, illegal in Brasil.

This is when the story really took a turn of interest.  Immediately he began shouting and waving his arms again.  "This is Your fault because you were too lazy to get your car fixed.  This is Your Brother's fault because he Couldn't Take You!  Actually, this is YOUR fault because YOU ARE SO SPOILED! And it is YOUR mother's FAULT because SHE SPOILS YOU!"

I have to laugh because only as a man can we manage to make a full circle of blame that touches everyone around us, and still have nothing to do with something that we just caused.

I talked to Raiza early this week, she expressed frustration over the stupidity of the holiday.  I have to agree Bunnies+Eggs (which are laid by chickens NOT BUNNIES)+Chocolate+Jesus=What kind of screwed up holiday is this?  I admit that I have serious reservations about how most people "celebrate" Easter, and completely sypathise with the confusion.  Especially for someone with outside the church.

Then I recalled her story.  The story that always brings a huge boyish smile to my face as I realize that as outlandish as the story seems and as fun as it is to watch her tell it in a way only she can, it does happen to all of us.  We all push blame.  We all point fingers.  So what does this have to do with Easter?

Today, let's focus on the one thing.  Jesus, his example, his life, and most importantly his death.  He lived a perfect sinless life, yet he took our faults and paid the price for our souls.  We will never understand how or why, but He chose to leave Heaven's spendor, much more enjoyable than a big screen tv, come to earth, much farther than our daughter's university, and pay the price for our sin, infinately greater than the repair bill of an automobile.  He did it all without complaint, without expectation, and without saying a single word.

Today, forget the noise, forget the chocolate (ok well I know you cannot completely forget chocolate, but just try to prioritize ok), forget about bunny's, and eggs.  I want to refamiliarize myself with the real meaning of Easter.  I want to understand the depth and the suffering that was experienced because of me.  Not for "all of mankind" or because, "there is so much sin in the world." No I want to face my sin, I want to recognize my depravity, I need a Savior because I have failed, because I am worthless.  He chose me, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment