11/12/2012

One of the most amazing opportunities of any adventure!


Feb 13, 2010  (My journal entry taking a bus back to Ushuaia after hiking the 'W')

As I have mentioned throughout this journal I have had the chance to meet many Israelis.  It seems to be quit popular to travel here in Patagonia after serving the mandatory two years of military service.  As I sat chatting with a young, Israeli, man in his mid twenties he confessed that he was non religious and wanted to ask me a couple of questions.  It was only after I promised to answer them as honestly as I could did he proceed.

"Have you read the whole thing?" He asked as he noticed my Bible.

"Almost" was my reply, "I may have not read every verse, but I have read it through."

He became very serious and questioned, "How does the Bible portray Jewish people? Are we good, bad, evil? What does it say about us?"

I tried to explain that this was a difficult question and would take some time to answer fully.  If he really wanted to know exactly how the Bible portrayed Jewish people I could give a detailed explanation.  This answer would take awhile, and if he were just making conversation then now would be his chance to drop the matter.

It was only being thoroughly convinced he sincerely desired the answer regardless of time that I continued.  I knew we would be on that bus for approximately three hours, so I had his complete attention.

What a fantastic opportunity!  I started with Adam and Eve and how sin entered the world.  Then went through Moses and Abraham which I knew would be of interest to this young man as he would be familiar with all of these stories.  I told him that according to the Bible salvation and redemption from the sin nature which has been passed down since Adam to all mankind was available to the Hebrews only.  They had the commands and promises given to Abraham.  Even though he and his family were chosen by God they were still enslaved to the nature of wrong-doing.

I further explained that the law was simplified into 10 commands and given to Moses along with a series of traditions and ceremonies to be performed ritually.  This law came only to the Hebrews, because they were God's chosen people.  God promised to take care of the Hebrews and bless them and those who treated God's people favorable.  I exampled Ruth and Rahab stories which he was vaguely familiar.  I assured him this promise is still true and that true Christians in the U.S. pray often for the nation of Israel.

"But", he interrupted, "Do you not believe we killed Jesus?" He asked.

So I continued, "Just as the sacrifice of animals was not enough to break the hold of sin on our lives, neither could a set of rules be kept.  So God had to send His Son."

"Jesus!" he said, "and Mary was a virgin. No?" He asked

I smiled, "Exactly!" I confirmed. "Jesus wasn't born into sin because his mother was pure. Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies which were foretold by the prophets in the Israeli Bible!"

He was on the edge of his bus seat, literally and was so intently hanging on every word that I was afraid he would soon be sitting in my lap! "So did we kill Jesus? Do Christians look unfavorably on us?"

I promise to finish this story before the week is over, I won't procrastinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment