2/02/2013

Bolivia


I'm Alive, slightly embarrassed, and a bit bronzed from the scorching Bolivian sun, but alive non the less.

"Be still, and know that I am God; I shall be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10.  Even though this versed was continually recurring in my thoughts and even in my readings, sometimes it's necessary to have all distractions completely taken from you in order to fully explore the depth and power of this verse

Today's story begins in La Paz, Bolivia.  Now there are very few interesting stories that happen in La Paz, but as it happens altitude sickness is quit the exception.   Though it began in La Paz the story actually takes place in Coroica, so the tradition of uneventful, crowded, grimy, rainy, and otherwise gloomy stories for which La Paz may have a reputation can thus continue uninterrupted.
Phil and Marika-Aren't they Cute :D

This story I want to tell not for sympathy or even because it was unique, but mainly because it proves how God provides exactly what we need.  It also is the perfect opportunity for me to introduce a few very good friends who will always have a place in my heart because of the adventure we shared and the care they took of me.

Austin and I had just checked into our hostel in the bustling capital city of Bolivia, La Paz.  We turned in for the night and the next day, oh about lunch time, were watching the Rugby game in this very vibrant British hostel when I felt a stroke of long curly hair go walking past me.  To my delight it was Marika! A fun, outgoing, adventurous European whom we had met with her husband Phil in Brasil.  I knew they were in the city but didn't image I would just happen upon them so quickly in a city of this population.  Marika has a bright smile and a charmingly bubbly personality, she can make friends, and strikes conversations with nearly everyone she meets.  Phil is cool, somewhat quiet and reflective, very smart and very good at nearly everything he puts his mind to.  They are so fun and a perfect match.  If you guys are reading this thank you both so very much for taking the best care of me and my computer that week.  It was a great week and makes an awesome story.

The next day Austin was going into the Bolivian jungle, and I would  stay behind to work on my Spanish.  God however, had bigger plans.  I spent the next day struggling with my computer which apparently had suffered a hard drive crash, and was unable to use my language program at all.  Thus I was quit obliged to tag along when invited to go to a quiet mountain town of Corioca with Phil and Marika in Austin's absence   I thought it would be a great opportunity to just soak in the Bolivian countryside, but nothing could be farther from what happened the next few days!

Too my best understanding I developed altitude sickness.  Fortunately, I had escaped the loud parties and busy streets of La Paz and the next few days Phil and Marika took great care of me.  Phil repaired my computer, something I could never have done on my own, and Marika made sure I was comfortable and allowed me to relax and recover.  I suffered extremely high fever and was unable to eat anything.  Due to the fever staying hydrated was quit difficult.

I could barely manage strength to stay awake and sit up.  One day while going downstairs to the bathroom (which was outside just a short distance from the upstairs room the three of us were sharing) I found myself waking up with a splitting headache, and staring up at the blistering Bolivian sun shining through the palm trees and wondering how I got there and how long I had been lying on the pavement.  Most importantly however, I wondered had anyone seen me do something as embarrassing as passing out and collapsing.

After three days without food and only minimal hydration, I finally began to recover and manage to take in a little yogurt and some cool-aid mix we concocted to get some salt, sugars, and water into my system.  In effort to keep this story no longer than it already is, I shall summarize : I did not enjoy long walks and extended periods of quiet meditation in the Bolivian mountains, however, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect environment or better friends to help me recover from altitude sickness.



"...and Lo I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world"  Matthew 28:20.  So God promises to be with us lo, but today's story proves He takes the time to care for us and provide for us even in the highest of elevations.

No comments:

Post a Comment