2/06/2013

The Best Birthday Ever!


March 11, 2011

Birthday #25 was probably the most exciting week of my physical life.  I had little idea how the day would play out, but from a very early age I had determined to see the lost city of Mochu Picchu.  And on this day of my journey I find myself in Cuzco the closest city to the ancient ruins.

Austin and I left the hostel and explored the old city.  The original city walls which remains mostly in tact consists of massive stone boulders perfectly cut and stacked.  The mystery of how this was done remain uncertain, but once in place the stones fit together so perfectly no mortar was used.  They simply stack like giant 1-2 ton lego blocks.  We visited a local museum to educate ourselves on local Incan traditions, lifestyles, and customs, and enjoyed some street food before returning to our hostel.

My Birthday Feast--And it was even happy to see me :)
As we walked back in through the hostel doors, Austin and I noticed that a pirate party would be held upstairs in the food area later that night. (If you know anything about me, dressing like a pirate is one of my favorite things to do).  Phil his wife Marika, who were still travelling with us, Austin and myself then went out to dinner that evening.  We decided to split a Guinea Pig.  Guinea Pig is a Peruvian favorite with it's very dark, rich meat.  It is a delicacy and very expensive and the entire rodent should be consumed leaving nothing to waste.

Desiring to both enjoy this treat to it's fullest and not wishing to insult the chief we proceeded to consume the entire animal.  I enjoyed the ears, while Phil and Austin each tried an eyeball.  Then we shared the tiny little brain after cracking open his skull.

Now we wondered back to the hostel which to our surprise was full of excitement as the staff prepaired for the pirate party, which I had somewhat forgotten.  Marika began helping me prepare.  She dug through her entire pack finding, "just the right pants" and "Oh the perfect shirt" and "These things that I had to wear". Seriously, her enthusiasm and British accent was really fun.  After she adorned me in all the proper scarves and beads and dangly things, she did my make up.  We had a bit of an argument during the make-up process when she made a slip of the tongue.  After a brief argument about proper terminology she finally admitted that by 'gay' she actually meant 'scary'.  I was "ready".

 When we walked into the grill, we were welcomed with a "Surprise!" and "Happy Birthday!"  Then the staff gave me a cake!  Seriously, why would a hostel staff do that? Not having a normal knife I decided to use my sabor, which was turned out to be quit a popular idea.  We had a fantastic evening and finally got some sleep after the cake and a lot of dancing. Twenty-five was going to be a great year and it was already off to a perfect start!

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for good and not for evil, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment