6/20/2012

Go Where Life Takes You, Even to the Ends of the World!


Feb 5, 2010

We finally arrived in Ushuaia (the world's southernmost city) very late Thursday night, found a hostel, and got some much needed sleep.  The last hour of the ride was a fantastic experience.  I wish it had been during the day because the desert carefully merged with ocean, and as we meandered around the lonely roads suggenly vegetation began to appear and in just a few moments our bus was climbing the amazing ridgeline of the Southern Andes.  We were passing high elevation lakes, and pristine forestests.  I peered with my face pressed against the glass for intervals when the full moon would shine down between the clouds to reveal the exquisite creation all around me.

We made it into the town of Ushuaia very late and with slight difficulty made it to a hostel and were able to get some sleep.  Awaking the next morning in high hopes we anxiously explored our little town.  It was actually a bit touristy for my taste with Gore-Tex and Northface lining every street.  Boasting as the southernmost city in the world is quit impressive, and when combined with a few great national parks, make this would be sleepy and dreadfully cold town into a bustling city during the summer months (i.e. Dec.-Mar. in the Southern Hemishpere).

Being in the middle of summer, Austin and I decided to spend a couple days in Tierra del Fuego, the Land of Fire.  It so named because as European merchants sailed around Cape Horne, the would see small fires burning all along the coastline.  These of course were started by aboriginals keeping themselves warm in during the long, cold winters.

We spent the first night at a quiet campsite and enjoyed some time to ourselves just visiting.  After hiking all day we spent our 2nd night in a more populated campsite where we came across some Argentinians and one German hitchiker.  They speak Spanish so communication is limited.  I confess I was a bit worried that if we slept to soundly may awaken to find things missing.  I was careful to sleep lightly and ensure any valuables were on my person.

I was caught using my axe to secure firewood and the park ranger took it away.  I tried to convince him I was only cutting already fallen logs, but to no avail.  He did promise however, to give it back the following day as I left the park.  It was not a tragedy, because we were planning to leave the next day, I just wish I had been able to cut more pieces before having to turn over my tool.

The German seemed quit content to just float through South America, on whatever means possible.  He made jewelry out of copper and with his very meager proceeds invested in whatever food he could afford.  He slept under a piece of tarp tied to two trees and then to a stake on other, the entire dwelling was a small V-shaped covering which he contentedly called home.  The whole group generously offered to share a bowl of beans they were making on the fire, and we were able to give them a bit of our food, though we did not have much.

They were a pleasant band, and fortunately my suspicions were false.  Too my knowledge the only things we shared were stories, songs, and a very poor dinner.  They never tried to take advantage of us.  So the next day we procurred a bus and were our way back to town.





No comments:

Post a Comment