6/24/2012

The rainy season in Taiwan

June 25, 2012

Here in Pingtung there are essentially two seasons, the hot season and the hotter season.  During the hot season we have temperatures very near those in North Carolina summer.  The hotter season is closer to summer in Miami.  It is so humid and damp and sticky that you spend your entire day from the time you get out of the shower in the morning, until the time you go to bed in a state of soggy, damp, stickiness.


This level of humidity also brings many tropical storms, typhoons, monsoons, and afternoon downpours.  That was the case the first 9 days I was here.  The day we arrived last August it started raining, buckets and buckets, of rain, and it continued FOREVER.  All we did was just sit in the apartment and watch it rain wondering what in the world this year would be like.  Well, it is now the rainy season again, and although I had forgotten how long and slow those days were, I was reminded this week.  It has been raining for days on end.  The plus side is that it gave me time to write the following poem, so I hope you all enjoy.

As the rain gently taps
   On the roof o'er my head,
My mind wanders farther
     Away from this land.

The life I am living
     Like a dream while sleep
Seems so far and so distant
     From the life that you lead.

The storm pounding down
     On this old window pain,
Brings reflections right back.
     They wash in like this rain.

Maybe it is sunny.
     I hope you are warm.
Maybe your holding,
     To me in your heart.

The rain leads me back.
     It washes me home.
Like a song from the past,
     The memories come.

So when the sun returns
     And when hot are the days,
I will come back again
     For a brief moments stay.

I will be here in Taiwan only a short few weeks longer.  I am very anxious to see everyone back home, but my home here will be truly, deeply missed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment