6/11/2012

South Bound!


Febuary 1st, 2011
I realize that it may not exactly be Magellan, but somehow taking that bus southward was one of the most exciting experiences of my life, and a bus ride all the way from Buenos Aires to Ushuia is no picnic.  The hot summer days and the warm tropical nights full of Tango and lavish dinning in Buenos Aires were mile by lonely mile forgotten and the replaced by the barren desert plains of central Argentina.

I awoke suddenly after catching a few hours of sleep.  I checked my watch: 4:00 a.m, from my bus window I observed one of the most spectacular stellar performances I have ever seen.  The constellations were out in full strength, no artificial lights for miles.  Orian, the southern cross, Jupiter, and even some distant gallexies I had never seen, were all there right in front of me.  As I gazed in astonishment several stars even fell from there loft heights and vanished in the darkness.

After a whole day of riding on this dusty road, things were taking a turn for the worst.  I was wired and tired.  Finally night came, but to my disappointment tonight brought no stars, no sleep.  In addition the Argentinian girl who was not only a cutie, was helping me practice spanish had reached her stop and had been replaced my a heavy-set elderly lady.  It could be worse I have been stuck with smelly people, so I am very thankful she smells of wonderful grandma things.

No comments:

Post a Comment